Monday, December 28, 2009
Construction of the church started in 1704 and was completed in 1894 by the Augustinian friars led by Fr. Antonio Estavillo.
It is probably the best-known “earthquake Baroque” church in the Philippines. Large coral stones were used for the lower level while bricks were used for the upper levels of the church. The walls are 1.67 meters thick and are supported by 24 carved and massive buttresses.
The Church is a unique combination of Gothic, Baroque and Oriental designs.
The bell tower near the church, dating from 1793, served as an observation point of the “Katipuneros” during the Philippine Revolution in 1896 and again by the guerrillas during the Japanese occupation.
BARCELA, KRISTINE JANE B.
The mall is the centerpiece project of SM Prime at the SM Central Business Park, where five one-story buildings serve as the company's corporate offices (the sixth building being occupied by TeleTech Holdings, Inc. as their flagship site in the country). Construction began in mid-2002 right after the completion of a contemporary medical school, dining strip and residential complex at Macapagal Boulevard, adjacent to the SM Central Business Park.
The SM Mall of Asia’s design team includes Arquitectonica, design Architect; Robert Carag Ong and Associates, architect of record; GHT Services, project manager, and Hilmarc Construction (for the South Parking Building, Main Mall, and Entertainment Mall) and Monolith Construction Development Corp. (for the North Parking Building), general contractors.
The mall would have opened before Christmas Day of 2005 but had been delayed due to hitches in the delivery of construction materials. Frequent rains in the last quarter of 2005 also delayed the turnover of mall space to tenants. SM Prime decided to move the opening date to March 3, 2006.
On February 27, 2006, local newspaper Manila Standard Today, reported that a team of Pasay City engineers found huge cracks underneath the structure, which was causing the structure to vibrate. When questioned about the inspection, the Pasay City Engineering Department denied making any statement regarding defects in the Mall of Asia. Engineer Edwin Javaluyas, Pasay City engineering officer, in his letter to SM Prime Holdings Inc., said he never stated that the city hall’s engineering department inspected the Mall of Asia on February 23, 2006.
SM Prime however decided to move the opening to May 21 of that year. Jeffrey Lim, corporate information officer of SM Prime Holdings, emphasized that a rescheduling of the mall’s opening was made to give the company an opportunity to allow more tenants to open shops and denied that the change was due to structural defects.
On May 20, 2006, the mall was officially inaugurated by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo with a special screening of Everest in the San Miguel Coca-Cola IMAX Theater. The movie was shown three days after tri-athlete Leo Oracion reached the treacherous mountain’s summit.
The Mall of Asia was constructed within the reclamation area. It is built on 19.5 hectares of reclaimed land and has a gross floor area of 390,193 square meters. The mall is located at the southmost tip of Epifanio de los Santos Avenue. A roundabout was constructed in the front of the mall with a huge bronze globe similar to that of the Universal Studios Theme Parks and the Unisphere in Flushing Meadows Park in New York City. On November 18, 2009, the globe was turned into an LED Globe also known as GlobAmaze. The first and only full global video display in Asia with its high resolution and full display graphics made possible by the LED’s 26,300 pieces of point lights. This cutting edge LED technology is among other things, weather-proof, has superior brightness, and a long lifetime.
Its the largest mall in the Philippines.
BARCELA, KRISTINE JANE B.
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Robinsons Galleria is a large shopping mall located at EDSA corner Ortigas Avenue, Quezon City just near SM Megamall. It is Robinsons' flagship mall. The mall is owned by John Gokongwei, founder of JG Summit Holdings and Robinsons Land Co. It was built in 1990 with a total gross floor area of approximately 216,000 m2 (2,330,000 sq ft). Currently, The entire mall is undergoing major renovations and redevelopment as the West Wing is halfway completed. Robinsons Galleria will become an even modern, more tech, more exciting shopping experience.
Robinsons Galleria, flagship mall of Robinsons Land Corporation, is a landmark along Quezon City's busiest intersection, EDSA and Ortigas Avenue. Robinsons Galleria is a 5-level shopping mall with more than 400 shops, dining outlets, entertainment facilities and service centers that satisfy the discriminating tastes of students, executives and families from the surrounding areas and beyond. It is located within a mixed-use complex composed of two high-rise office towers -- the Galleria Corporate Center and the Robinsons-Equitable Tower, deluxe hotels. The Holiday Inn Galleria Manila and Crowne Galleria Manila, the Galleria Regency and the historic EDSA Shrine. Employees and guests of these establishments ensure captured markets for the Galleria mall.
Friday, December 25, 2009
The St. Francis Shangri-La Place, also known as The St. Francis Towers 1 & 2 are twin-tower residential condominium skyscrapers in Mandaluyong City, Philippines. The towers are the 3rd tallest building in Metro Manila and in the Philippines, and are currently the tallest residential skyscraper and tallest twin towers in the Philippines with a height of 212.88 metres  The building has 60 floors above ground, including a podium which connects the two towers, and 5 basement levels for parking, and are considered as one of the most prestigious residential buildings in the Philippines from the ground to its architectural spire.
Jennifer J. Paulo
Thursday, December 24, 2009
- 12th Century - Early settlers were traders. The name Daraga came from a kind of tree that grew
in abundance in the hill where now stands the Catholic church with Baroque architecture.
- 1587 - Evangelization by Franciscan missionaries. They called the place Budiao and then renamed to Cagsawa.
- 1595 - Cagsawa became a "visita" and was attached to the town Camalig.
- 1814 - Eruption of Mayon Volcano that caused the destruction of Cagsawa.
- 1815 - Government for the town of Daraga was formally organized with Venancio Espiritu Salomon as Barangay Captain.
- 1872 - Cagsawa was changed to Salcedo by Simon de Anda and later renamed Daraga
- 1892 - Under Becerra Law, Daraga became a constituent of the City of Legazpi
- 1922 - Daraga regained her autonomy when the Philippine Assembly ordered separation of Daraga from the capital town of Albay, composed of Albay and Legazpi City
- 1948 - Under R.A. 306, Daraga was again incorporated to Legazpi as one of its district
- 1954 - R.A. 993 creating the Municipality of Daraga
- 1959 - Daraga’s name was changed to Locsin
- 1967 - R.A. 4994 restored the name Daraga
- 1973 - P.D. 125, Daraga was incorporated as part of Legazpi City, but implementation of this decree was suspended
Back then, the lot that was purchased in 1978 was no better than a vacant swamp remotely located from the center of the metropolis. SM Prime’s chairman, Henry Sy Sr., saw the potential of the place, standing at the crossroad for regional traffic coming to and from the northern provinces of Luzon. Sy took his inspiration to build SM North EDSA from the first few malls built in the U.S., which he thought Filipinos will want to have. Ironically, many thought his plan was ill-timed because the construction of the North EDSA mall happened when divisive political issues were prevalent in the country.
The mall was opened on November 29, 1985, the first mall ever built by SM with a gross floor area of 125,000 square meters. “We had a tough time getting tenants to fill up the place. It was a risky period in our country’s history. So, we opened with only the SM Department Store and another small shop as the mall’s tenants,” said Mrs. Teresita Sy-Coson, Vice Chairperson of SM Investments Corporation. But to everyone’s surprise and those of many skeptics, crowds came and filled the mall. “It was an instant success,” noted Mrs. Sy-Coson.
The mall was then composed of just the main building and outdoor parking areas. As more tenants came in and entertainment concepts were introduced to the mall such as cinemas, SM North EDSA came to be known as one that institutionalized the “one-stop shopping concept” and was the first to introduce “malling” as a pastime in the Philippines. The 5-level carpark, also known as Annex 2 building was built soon after, with the lower ground floor of the building quickly converted into more enclosed mall space. The two-floor annex was built after, expanding the mall's floor area and providing space for a bowling alley and four more movie theaters. The Main Building and The Annex was expanded with a Lower Ground Level and the first level of The Carpark Building was converted to a Cyberzone mainly for tech and gadget shops and later on, the Main Building added a 3rd level.
Businesses and real estate thrived where SM North EDSA was built, that over a period of 20 years, it has seen four expansions including The Block which opened in 2006. In July 2006, Annex 3 now better known as The Block at SM City North EDSA was opened featuring the Hypermarket, Toy Kingdom, additional four movie theaters and several shops and restaurants. In February 8, 2007, SM closed the Annex building from the public and later on, demolished for a major renovation of The Annexes. The annex was reopened in December 12, 2008. The Cinema 1 located in The Block was converted to a Digital cinema format. According to studies of large malls in the world by Eastern Connecticut State University, SM City North EDSA was ranked the 6th largest mall in the world in terms of Total GFA (Gross Floor Area) of 331,861 m² and was ranked second largest in the country.
The Manila Hotel is a 570-room, five star hotel in Manila, Philippines, located in the heart of the Manila Bay area. The Manila Hotel is the oldest premiere hotel in the Philippines, built in 1909 to rival Malacañang Palace, where the Philippine president now lives, and opened in 1912. It was built on 3.5 hectares (376,736.9 sq ft) of land along Roxas Boulevard. It was the residence of General Douglas MacArthur from 1935 to 1941.
On January 17, 2008, at Number One Rizal Park, the Manila Hotel Tent City's blessing and grand opening was held at 5:00 p.m. Its conference halls seat 7,000 guests, and it will accommodate another 2,500 guests, for wedding receptions, anniversaries, conventions, and exhibitions.
The hotel contains the offices of several foreign news organizations, including The New York Times. It has hosted numerous historical persons and celebrities, including authors Ernest Hemingway and James A. Michener, U.S. President John F. Kennedy, The Beatles, King of Pop Michael Jackson, Actors Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., and John Wayne, publisher Henry Luce, entertainer Sammy Davis, Jr., Prime Minister Sir Anthony Eden, and many various world leaders.
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
Quiapo Church, officially known as Minor Basilica of the Black Nazarene, is a Roman Catholic church located in the District of Quiapo, Manila, in the Philippines. The church is one of the most popular churches in the country. It is home to the Black Nazarene, a much venerated statue of Jesus Christ which many people believe has miraculous attributes. The church was painted cream after the original Mexican Baroque edifice was burned down in 1928. Also known as
When Governor General Santiago de Vera founded the District of Quiapo on August 29, 1586, the Franciscan Missionaries built the first
-Marissa C. Balid
The plan was to recreate Glorietta to an indoor facility and integrate it with the remaining buildings surrounding it as well as the newly-constructed buildings that replaced the ones that have been torn-down namely the QUAD cinemas; by the mid and late 90s Glorietta reached its popularity as a premier mall.
The Glorietta mall was opened in 1991 having a gross leasable area of 250,000 m², envisioned as one of the largest malls in the Philippines. Still today, Glorietta Mall remains as one of the biggest in Metro Manila. Glorietta is a one-stop, self-sufficient shopping center. Glorietta offers complete shopping and dining options ranging from apparel, accessories, home furniture, appliances to specialty brands. It has a fully air-conditioned atrium with water features, an indoor playground for children, and an activity center that hosts the best concerts and shows for its shoppers.
Other new buildings were also constructed in between 1999 and 2005, making Glorietta bigger than its original construction plan.
-Marissa C. Balid
- Marissa C. Balid
Monday, December 21, 2009
Fr. Ramon Caviedas, the Franciscan friar who built the Sampaloc cemetery located at the hills of Balic-balic, Sampaloc, Manila, was himself buried on a cemetery located on the hills of La Loma (called cementerio de Binondo as it was formerly part of the jurisdiction of Santa Cruz, Manila during the Spanish colonial period).
ccording to Architect Lorelei D.C. de Viana, the cemetery of Binondo was surrounded by a three meter high stone masonry fence and had distinctive wrought iron grill gate with statues of angels guarding it. Below is an 1899 image taken from a stereograph printed by Underwood and Underwood.
-Febbie B. Briones
SM Megamall is a a large shopping mall located in the Ortigas business district of Metro Manila, Philippines. It is the third SM Supermall developed and operated by SM Prime Holdings, the largest mall operator in the Philippines owned by Henry Sy Sr. The mall has two buildings interconnected with a bridge. The mall is measured with a land area of approximately 18-hectares and has a total floor area of an estimated 348,000 m², making it the third largest shopping mall in the country and seventh largest shopping mall in the world.The mall was constructed in 1989 and opened its doors on June 28, 1991, the third SM Supermall ever built by Henry Sy Sr before SM Prime Holdings was publicly listed, after SM City Sta. Mesa and the SM City North EDSA. SM Megamall is located in the Ortigas Center, at the portion encompassed by Mandaluyong City.
-Febbie B. Briones
Holy Rosary Minor Seminary
Founded in 1793, the Holy Rosary Minor Seminary is one of the oldest schools for priesthood in the country today. The seminary has produced numerous church and lay leaders and is the alma mater of a number of Bikol Patriots and heroes.
The Church of Our Lady of the Gate built in 1773 after Cagsaua Church was buried under rocks and lava after a Mayon eruption.
It's Baroque architecture sits atop a hill and overlooks Mayon.
Perhaps the most enduring survivor of the beauty and fury of Mayon Volcano.
Jennifer J. Paulo
In Antipolo, one finds the religious shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, popularly known as the Virgin of Antipolo (Birhen ng Antipolo).On March 25, 1626, Don Juan Niño de Tabora left the shores of Mexico aboard the galleon, El Almirante, to make its voyage to the Philippines. On this trip, Governor Tabora brought along the brown image of our Blessed Virgin Mother
Jennifer J. Paulo
Sunday, December 20, 2009
In Antipolo, one finds the religious shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, popularly known as the Virgin of Antipolo (Birhen ng Antipolo).
The origin of our Virgin of Antipolo dates back to Spanish era in the Philippines, when galleon trade between the Philippines and Mexico were at its height
The image of "Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage" has been venerated in the church of Antipolo for centuries. The old church that housed the virgin was destroyed in February 1945 when the Americans bombed Antipolo as part of the liberation campaign of Manila. In 1954 a new church was build designed by the renowned Filipino architect Jose de Ocampo. This church is of a coupular design centered around the image of the Virgin. It functions as the center point of the pilgrimages to Antipolo.
Antipolo is known to be the home of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, Nuestra Señora de la Paz y Buenviaje. History says this miraculous icon has sailed back and forth between Manila and Acapulco eight times and, on several occassions, was credited with saving her galleon from destruction by pirates and Dutch and British blockades. The galleon's safe arrivals were attributed to the miraculous powers of the statuette. It was on 26 November 1626 when the Blessed Virgin from Acapulco was canonized by the Arcbishop of Manila, Michael O'Doherty. Thousands of devotees pay homage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage.
Jai Alai Building
• Location: Taft Avenue, Manila
• Completed: 1940
• Architect: Welton Becket, a friend of Hollywood celebrities and designer of the homes of such screen legends as James Cagney and Cesar Romero, as well as of Los Angeles airport
• Style: Art Deco
• Design: The Jai Alai’s sleek, cylindrical glass front was said to evoke the velocity of the game, in which pelotaris use curved scoops to hurl a rubber ball at speeds of up to 200 km an hour against three walls of a court
• Significance: Among the jewels of that period was Taft Avenue, a mini-Champs Elysee, with grand homes, sparkling movie houses, colleges and spectacular Art Deco buildings. One of the finest buildings was the Jai Alai stadium, opened in 1940 as a home for the Basque game of the same name and quickly adopted as a playground by the rich and glamorous.
• Status: Demolition began on July 15, 2000 on the orders of Mayor Lito Atienza
On that date in 2000 began the demolition of the Jai Alai, one of Asia’s finest Art Deco buildings, a structure that was to have given way to a new Hall of Justice for the City of Manila.
TriNoma (Triangle North of Manila)
is a large shopping mall in Quezon City in the Philippines owned by property development firm Ayala Land Inc.
TriNoma is located at the EDSA corner North Avenue in Quezon City. Strategically located in "North Triangle", the mall is bound by three major thoroughfares, namely, North Avenue, EDSA and Mindanao Avenue. Located on a 20 hectare parcel of land, TriNoma has a gross leasable area of 195,000 square meters, which includes the mall's major anchor, The Landmark Supermarket and Department Store.
The mall is composed of four major levels with two minor ones on ground and on grade. The mall is characterized by alfresco areas punctuated with water features and landscaping. These water features flow into pools at the TriNoma Park, an oasis that sits atop the mall.
The TriNoma Park is a two-level park spanning a total of one hectare. It is home to an array of restaurants offering varied cuisines. The Park also houses a stage, surrounded by pools of water, for performances and shows. The TriNoma Park is linked to the mall's 3rd level.
The mall has two parking buildings, North Ave Parking Building and Mindanao Parking Building. The North Avenue Parking building is currently undergoing construction for purposes of expansion. Parking is also available in open areas.
The mall has two parking buildings, namely the 4-storey North Avenue Parking Building(facing North Avenue) and the 8-storey Mindanao Avenue Parking Building. It also contains 8,000 parking slots mostly hosted in the 8-storey Mindanao Avenue Parking Building.
Provincial Capitol of Daet
•Provincial Capitol - reconstructed from 1986 to 1995, the provincial capitol is the seat of the provincial government of Camarines Norte province. It has 12 big front columns representing the 12 municipalities of the province.
Daet is 365 kilometers southeast of Metro Manila and eight hours drive by bus or forty –five (45) minutes trip by plane. The climate is classified as type II, with no dry season and with a very pronounced maximum rain from November to January.
picture of half-naked boys in front of Camarines Norte Provincial Capitol
Iloilo City Central Public Market
Posted By: LLANERA, Rosalie L.
Friday, December 18, 2009
Greenbelt is a shopping mall located at Ayala Center, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines which is just near Glorietta and SM Makati. It's owned by Ayala Malls, a real-estate subsidiary of Ayala Land, which is an affiliate of Ayala Corporation. It opened in the 1980s and it is one of Ayala Corporation's flagship projects. The mall offers a mix of high-end retail shops, restaurants, amenities, leisure and entertainment in the
Location Ayala Center, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Opening date 1987 Developer Ayala Land Management Ayala Malls Owner Zobel de Ayala family No. of stores and services More than 300 shops and restaurants Total retail floor area 250,000 Parking 2000+ cars No. of floors 4 floors
Posted by: LLANERA, ROSALIE L.
Calumpit borders the town of
The facade is simple with four decorative Corinthian columns seemingly carrying the pediment. One of the notable features of this church is the presence of an elaborate carving done in stucco that can be seen at the top of the main and side portals featuring Christ, the apostles, animals symbolizing the four evangelists and angels. Originally, the pediment is only up to the wavelike decoration but later, probably 20th century, was extended.
Originally built in the 1980's,
e centers. With the opening in June 2000 of the Padre Faura Wing, we are giving our customers more shopping and dining choices in
Robinsons Place Manila or Robinsons Midtown Mall is a shopping mall located in the city of Manila. It was the second and by-far, the largest Robinsons Mall ever built by John Gokongwei. It began operations in 1995 and was opened in 1997. The mall features anchors like Robinsons Supermarket, Robinsons Department Store.
The St. James Parish Church, which is dedicated to St. James the Great (patron Saint of
Posted By: Pineda,Edralyn D.