Sunday, December 20, 2009
The place for prayers...
In Antipolo, one finds the religious shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, popularly known as the Virgin of Antipolo (Birhen ng Antipolo).
The origin of our Virgin of Antipolo dates back to Spanish era in the Philippines, when galleon trade between the Philippines and Mexico were at its height
The image of "Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage" has been venerated in the church of Antipolo for centuries. The old church that housed the virgin was destroyed in February 1945 when the Americans bombed Antipolo as part of the liberation campaign of Manila. In 1954 a new church was build designed by the renowned Filipino architect Jose de Ocampo. This church is of a coupular design centered around the image of the Virgin. It functions as the center point of the pilgrimages to Antipolo.
Antipolo is known to be the home of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, Nuestra Señora de la Paz y Buenviaje. History says this miraculous icon has sailed back and forth between Manila and Acapulco eight times and, on several occassions, was credited with saving her galleon from destruction by pirates and Dutch and British blockades. The galleon's safe arrivals were attributed to the miraculous powers of the statuette. It was on 26 November 1626 when the Blessed Virgin from Acapulco was canonized by the Arcbishop of Manila, Michael O'Doherty. Thousands of devotees pay homage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage.